Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Late to Bed, Early to Rise

Played Phase 10 until 12:30 with friends at Dolce last night. Getting up for work was tough, to say the least. I haven't got much new to report. My picture of Jessa seems to be doing very well on Flickr.

Jessa168

I'm pretty proud of it.

I'm so tired that I haven't done any editing yet today. I should be doing any number of things on my list:

Go back and tag all my photos (something I should have been doing all along)

Fill in the Strobist info for all the model shots.

Make a notebook for keeping track of such things.

Finish editing shots from the following sessions. . .Fredericksburg (from 2007), Dante and Delilah (from 2007), Matt's girls (also 2007), Rex and Johanna part 2, Brian, Cliff and Tali, Ellen and John, Sharmane and Tristan, Justin and Rita, Solomon Conference, Lisa + Gord = Willa, Bea and Brad, B&B Baby Shower, and lastly the Strobist shoot.

That list represents the greatest source of anxiety and frustration in my life right now. If I can finally crawl out from underneath all of those pictures I will be able to breathe again.

This brings me to the point of workflow. . .I have a loose idea of what I think it means, but I need more input from other photographers. How do they slog through their hundreds of shots?

So, a possible goal this week might be to come up with some kind of plan for myself and actually stick to it.








2 comments:

Unknown said...

re the slog:

I use Lightroom (but I used to do this process in Bridge too)

Load em up. Rate them all a '2' rating.

Set the tool to filter out of the view anything 1 or less (or 'show things greater than or equal to 2)


Then go through the images in a quick pass, rating anything 'obviously crap' as a 1 - it disappears from view (but isn't deleted so no panic if you screw up)


Then I go through again and rate better images higher. Or go multi-pass, rate things as a 3 for keepers, then up the filter to 3 or more and rate again.

I can get to a final selection pretty quickly that way, then work on those. (but I don't work for clients and I'm pretty aggressive with culling out not quite there shots)

After typing all this, I remembered I'd written about it before

http://gordonmcgregor.blogspot.com/2008/01/edit-boldly.html

Nadia said...

I have yet to use either program.

(btw, I tried downloading the new LR beta and I never got past the registration process. Adobe doesn't like the cut of my jib)

I do try to whittle down the pictures simply by looking at them. sometimes I go through this process twice. but I have a REALLY hard time slashing and burning.

Which is funny because I'm really not so good at taking pictures that every single one is a keeper!